Monday, November 29, 2010

Frontline: Interview with Luc Marchal

How would you sum up what this man was telling you?
Jon Pierre gave me a very good and clear description about the interahamwe organization. He described the cells, the armaments, the training, and he told me that everybody was suspected ... and then the reaction will follow immediately, and the reaction was to kill a maximum of Tutsis. And each family, each house, was located in Kigali, so everything was being prepared ... And [based] on what Jon Pierre told me of the interahamwe organization, I felt the it was a real killing machine because the objective was very clear for everybody--kill, kill and kill.
Kill who?
... Just kill a maximum of people.
Meaning civilians?
Yes, of course, civilians, Tutsis, of course. Jon Pierre used the word Tutsi.... there was no specification about the person, just Tutsis must be killed.




Do you feel that responsibility or guilt can go wider than simply the people who shot the bullets and wielded the machetes?
Yes. I think that the whole international community is responsible for what happened in Rwanda. I will take the words of General Dallaire, he said, "The whole community ... international community has blood on his hands," and I feel the same ... Because during the month of May it was obvious for the whole world what was going on in Rwanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment